Monday, June 1, 2009

No bye-bye, Birdie!

I really appreciated reading this woman follow up posting after her visit to Good Morning America last week with a successful 120lbs weight loss. I would highly recommend one reading all her info at www.sparkspeople.com Her candor and refreshing honesty of dealing with the realities of life is exciting as well as her humilty. More then her ability for the weight release, but that she acknowledges her humanity and is pragmatic about what she could and could not do.

I especially like her remarks about needing a support system that motivation iin tiself is nov enough, a factor we really need to heed. Iv would save us a lot of grief and misdirecved blame.
JHM

By Birdie:
6/1/09

I wanted to thank everyone for all of the kind and positive comments. I am now certain that I made a good decision to come forward with my weight loss success.

Unfortunately,I am back in the middle of my busy life right now. I'm working full time, trying to work out, and attempting to spend quality time with my husband and all of my children. I am going to read through each and every one of my comments and emails, but it will likely take me some time. The kids are all asleep now. I've worked a full day and I got in 40 minutes of cardio. I'm still tired from going to New York, but it was a successful day.

Once again, thank you. Thank you! Thank you!

I did want to touch on the topic of motivation. SparkPeople really does have all of the tools you need to lose and maintain weight loss. What I mean by tools is that you can find out how many calories you need to eat per day and how to balance your nutrition. SparkPeople does have great emotional support as well, but sometimes that's not enough. I believe that I had an advantage in that I had/have a great support system. I have delegated many, many things in my life. For example, I do not do my own laundry. I do very little housecleaning as well.

Obviously due to my work schedule, I have to arrange for childcare for my children. The list goes on. What does this have to do with motivation?

Well... stress needs to be minimized in order to get to a place where you can even think about a selfish goal such as weight loss.

Selfish? Well, it is in a way.

But, it's a good selfish because it pays back to everyone that you took from. So, for example, the time that I spent working out and being selfish means that I can now outlast my kids when spending a day at an amusement park.

I've got to share a story.

A few years ago, my husband and I took our kids to Sea World here in Orlando. We probably made it about two hours before we got in the car and headed home. Our oldest kids were devastated. They didn't understand why we were leaving so soon.

We left because I was hot, sweaty, out of breath, and my thighs were rubbing together so hard that it hurt. I couldn't do it anymore.

Sad but true. I'm sure others can relate. I was the mom that ruined all of the fun because I got too tired. Back to motivation.

The point is that you need support before you can even think about motivation.

So, ask for help. Delegate responsibility. Ask your husband if he will watch the kids while you work out. Hire a high school kid to help you clean the house or do the laundry. Get creative.

Finding the time doesn't have to involve money.

Ask friends for advice. Perhaps they can see some opportunities to simplify your life that can't see.

Sometimes someone looking from the outside in can get a clearer view of the picture. You have to clear the path. Make some room for your lifestyle change. I do want to be a source of motivation.

But, I am still learning how to maintain my weight.

I still read almost all of my SparkMail. If not that day, I will read it at another time. I still read the entries in the dailySpark. I still read every SparkPeople Success Story that I can find. I will never stop seeking inspiration.

No comments: