Monday, December 15, 2008

The Weigh to go...

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
-Catherine-


How much you want to guess how many people in the next 2 weeks will embark on the same old song of wanting and needing to and having to do this?


How sick they are of XYZ & they know now is the time and how determine they are__________(You fill in the blanks).


They will reach out and may have good intentions and then as soon as all the stuff that moved them to this point creeps in on the new found determination, how long will it take before the slippage begins?


Now of this is being said as a put down, just reality. As anyone who has been on this road before can attest to, it ain't always easy. And that just like the poundage is lifted, unwrapped and done away with all the internal stuff is bore up and if it is not also lifted, unwrapped, done away with , the insanity will continue.


All of us here have met with challenges, overcome some, managed others, tolerated even more and made peace with others. The definitive things has been that something was being done. And even if one fell down seven, they got up 8th and 9th and the 10th time until they got it right.


I was remarking to a friend that I did no know exactly when it happened that I went from killing a 2 liter of soda in a day to one every couple of weeks, but I did. Or when ice cream particularly Ben & Jerry, went from lets kill a pint in one setting to a serving at a time, once a month.
Where I actually prefer water more then ever before. Or actually participate (and liked) a raw food class and have actually incorporated it in my life. No not becoming a vegan, but put more things in place. When did I start eating unsalted sunflower seeds and liking it? I've have not used a lot of salt in my life, but unsalted seeds were not in my eating plan. Or stop doing takeout except once or twice a month?


Oh I have a weigh to go, but people who saw me this summer in July were surprised when they saw me in Oct. Nah I cannot tell you I am a skinny Minnie. There is still much to do as everything has dropped into the South 40, but there is noticeable difference in my face, but more have been lifted off my heart.


For me this time is métamorphose: transformation... not making something over, not starting over or even starting up as that begun the minute I had the thought. This is a new phase of transforming what I have accomplish thus far into something larger and greater for myself and as a by product or a ripple effect those in my life now and the one I have yet to meet.


Just recently I had a 1, 2 surprise. Students of mine some from as far as 20 years ago found me after all this time and here I am utterly amazed in reading how much I had inspired them when they were teenagers. What a feeling that was knowing that some how something I did in concert with their growth moved them in such a way that they remembered all these years later and it had a impact in their life.


It was timely for me to read this and still even today I am gratified and honored. I am no different then others in the respect that we tend to hold on or give more importance to what I call the "thy shalt nots" or you are not good enough or pretty enough or smart enough or just not enough.


We live in a cultural climate that tends to revel in being punitive. If that wa not true then why do we have such a marked increase in obesity? It did not happen overnight. And usually obesity or the super-obese are always it appears marred with some sort of emotional issues underneath it all.


So do we try or do we move toward transforming? I've taken an approach over the last several months and while it was not easy, it was necessary and the decisions I made were the best ones and already I can tell the difference. You may not have to do something as dramatic as what I did but sometimes the shift may be subtle, but powerful and all that is needed.


I wish you all well, be well on your way to the weigh you do the thin(gs) you do!

No comments: