Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yay May!

http://www.noffn.org/

I am delighted to learn that this Thursday the New Orleans food & Farm Network will be bringing a host of volunteers in to plant. I will have container gardens chocked full of herbs veggie, fruit and floweras to boot.

I am delighted as it will be my 1st vegetable garden since I was a child although I have been growing flowers for the last few years. They have been providing immeasureable service to people as the city as been moving along toward being more green.

From their website:

"The New Orleans Food & Farm Network believes everyone should have access to fresh, healthy, and sustainably produced food for the long-term health of our environment, economy, and communities. We work with individuals, organizations, growers and communities to help make fresh, healthy food more accessible to everyone. We do this by:
Celebrating and supporting "what's right" in our local food system
Bringing people together to identify gaps in access to fresh foods
Creating, with our partners, neighborhood and city-wide food projects that fill those gaps for all members of the community
Find out more about how we work through:
Advocacy & Networking
Building Good Food Neighborhoods
Educating & Supporting Our Communities
"
We have mad community gardens all over the city with more popping up.

And I am delighted to be able to choose what veggies, herbs & fruit I want. I will tend to it which the side benefit with be movement, burn calories & food that taste like food.

I like their proactive weigh of ensuring that all have equal access to safe & healthy food.

Check out their website and if you are not here, perhaps you can create it in your own neighborhood.



http://www.noffn.org/
I plan to with my extra food to donate it to a local food bank.

"Each one reach one, teach one"

No comments: